Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Par Le Voux Busy

I would like to open this blog with my happy place...

This is our corner bakery. We've now been here three times (twice yesterday). Lynn likes the strawberry tart and I love the chocolate croissants with cafe au lait... YUM! I also ate one of the meringue things in the window. Yes, it was hard, but still chocolate and therefore good.

It seems we were not able to share our adventures with all of you yesterday. We had a little too much fun last night on Mom and Dad's anniversary to find a suitable internet cafe before closing. WAY TOO MUCH FUN!!!

Our Tuesday began with a trip to Versailles. Louis XIV moved the French government and his home to a small village near France (Versailles). It has a faded opulence, but is still majestic. The Hall of Mirrors, where the Treaty of Versailles was signed ending WWI, is the highlight of his palace.

There are never ending gardens that blanket the countryside. In the summer, they are probably green and gorgeous with fountains blasting. In the winter, they can be cold and damp but still a sight to be seen. We got greedy and started bragging about the weather so of course it was damp and rainy yesterday. So freezing and damp we said we're eating at the first restaurant we see in Versailles. We went in and of course... it was TEX MEX! Now that seems to mean something completely unique to the French. According to the menu, Tex Mex is made up of guacamole, cole slaw and onion rings... RIGHT... Let's just say it was no Chuy's.

After the train ride back, we headed over to see Notre Dame. The cathedral is GORGEOUS! It's moved to number two on the Kristen and Blake official cathedral ranking. AND of course, we climbed! We got up close and personal with all of the gargoyles that line the building and actually had the entire top to ourselves for a viewing of the city. We even got to go all Quasimodo and climb up into the bell tower to see the bell. There is a poor guy who has to sit up in the bell tower by himself all day.

After our climb, we rushed back to the apartment to get ready for the nights big event. We headed down to the Seine for a moonlight dinner cruise! We put on our heels and then basically had a little race across Paris. This I DO NOT recommend. We made it just in time for disembarking and had a wonderful time.

I want everyone to know that I did it. I ATE SNAILS!!!

The first few were okay, and then I got one that tasted a little like I had licked the floor (in food snob terms... earthy). That was it, no more snails. We had a view of all the sights at night. There is something magical about the Eiffel Tower when it twinkles at night. You understand why it captures everyone's heart. The only problem is that we couldn't stop Lynn and Bob from drinking bottles of champagne. Kidding! Crazy kids!!! We shepherded the lovebirds home on the Metro, had another bottle of champagne and called it a night.

Today has been our day to experience Paris culture. After breakfast (See Happy Place) we took a stroll through the Luxembourg Gardens connecting with the sculptures in a very special way,

and we've spent the afternoon walking through the little shops in the Latin Quarter. We're headed to ride the ferris wheel at the end of the Champs Elysses tonight and then pack up for Normandy. Au Revoir Paris...We've had a wonderful time!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds wonderful! I am aticipating the 4,324 shots of the eiffle tower and 325,406 of the cathedral in the post trip slideshow by Blake :)

Aunt Donna said...

Connected in a very special way indeed! I love reading your blog! It has been the delight of my days this week! Now where are ya off to??? Wine country?

Moo said...

Snails---all I have to say is "fish in your mouth" dreams! I like your happy place much better. I think you are inspiring even Doo to want to travel -- good job, keep it up!

Cheryl said...

This is awesome!! Donna told me about your blog and I am really enjoying it! I hope yall continue to have a great time!!

Susan said...

I love, LOVE, the photo of Lynn and Bob after the champagne!!! Did not know the two drank....lol or ate flowers! I had to rush home to check out the blog about Versaille...after you did not post for a day! Keep on finding the neat places and keeping us a part of the trip! On to Normandy! My love to each of you....keep up with the Vacek Adventures!

tinareso said...

I am so proud the whole trip has been a delight---------gosh, I do wish I were in the back pocket--have read and studied all the great places in my old Latin classes and history--dream on Gan/Mother

andrewandanngraesser said...

Oh my gosh...I'm mostly so happy for you and just a little bit having a total pitty party for myself. No really, what an awesome trip you're having. I love the Seine cruise/dinner. How cool! Looking forward to seeing the rest...

andrewandanngraesser said...

BTW...y'all inspired me to update our blog. When you're done racing all over France and eating amazing food you'll have to check it out. We put pics of the girls playing the baby grand! andrewandanngraesser.blogspot.com