Tuesday, January 01, 2013

A Little House Christmas

Emmy sometimes surprises me with what she has a tolerance for. I LOVED the little house on the Prarie books when I was little and I hoped Emmy would like them too one day. When I saw that the Main Street Theater had a production of a Little House Christmas, I figured now was the time to try. I just had my Young Adult Reader with a black and white sketch every 20 pages or so. We started reading a chapter a night and I thought for sure we would never make it past a few chapters, but we made it through the entire book. Her mind was consistently blown over what Laura and Mary didn't have in their house. When we first started reading she would randomly come up to me during the day and ask if Laura and Mary had "x" or "x" and then head off to contemplate after I told her no. Blake and I couldn't believe just how un-PC the books are now. We had to get creative on all of the Indian chapters (ok, we skipped a few that were too hard.) I was so happy that when we got there, she already knew who all the characters were and some of their story. 

Kate and Caroline joined us for a special girls day! They all got a special book for the characters to sign after the show. Emmy just loves to watch the play. Every time after we leave she says "I want to be in that play." I'm so glad that we have access to things like this to introduce it to her now.

 The girls all decided that meeting the characters after the show was thier favorite part (along with the square dancing and chocolate after.)
 Caroline got giddy everytime they said Ma's name "Caroline" on stage and got so excited to meet her after.
 And of course we couldn't leave without meeting Laura and Mary!
 After the play we had a little girls lunch at Black Walnut and a quick trip to The Chocolate Bar.

So happy to spend time with these girls (and their mommies) and so happy that they seem to pick right back up every time they see each other no matter how long it's been.

No comments: